Albania Gender Brief
Facilitating progress towards gender equality is a key component of the European Union’s (EU) accession agenda in the Western Balkans. Drawing on administrative data and reporting and monitoring work by the Ministry of Social Welfare & Youth – the lead authority in promoting equality of women and men in Albania and in monitoring progress – Gender Brief Albania 2016 provides an overview and analysis of the current state of gender equality in Albania.
Gender Brief Albania 2016 captures on-going work, reviews progress and identifies gaps in implementing Albania’s international and national commitments on gender equality and the empowerment of women. To support EU policy makers in tailoring pre-accession assistance to the Government of Albania, it presents priority actions to improve the lives of Albanian women and girls in these key areas:
- Strengthening institutional frameworks for gender equality
- Enhancing implementation of legal and policy frameworks to prevent and combat gender-based violence
- Improving women and girls’ socio-economic opportunities and access to the formal labour market
- Promoting women’s political and public participation;
- Increasing equal access to justice for women and girls
- Protecting their sexual and reproductive rights.
It also identifies new and emerging sectors that require increased attention, such as disaster riskmanagement, energy poverty, and climate change.
An important reference for Albanian ministries, development and integration actors and the wider public, Gender Brief Albania 2016 can also be used to prioritise Albania's development and reform goals. Available in English and Albanian, it features easy-to-grasp infographics.