Gender Sensitive Value Chain Analysis
In the framework of the Gender Sensitive post-earthquake Recovery and Reconstruction project, UN Women conducted 10 Gender Sensitive Value Chain Analysis (GSVCA) in the earthquake-affected municipalities of Shijak, Durrës, Krujë, Tiranë, Kavajë, Vorë, Rrogozhinë, Kurbin, Mirditë and Lezhë. These GSVCAs identify and promote ‘win-win’ scenarios that guarantee market sustainability, and provide development opportunities that address problems in a value chain in conjunction with addressing gender inequalities inherent in and along the chain. These gender-responsive ‘win-win’ scenarios tend to:
- Upgrade functions of the value chain (addressing value chain problems).
- Increase productivity.
- Economically empower women and consider their unpaid contributions to value chains.
- Encourage women’s ownership of productive resources.
- Encourage transformation of limiting and discriminating gender norms.
- Reduce insecurity and vulnerability of women and men.
- Do not add financial or time-use burdens to women.